Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rooting my Android Phone

This article is geared to the ATT Captivate, but you can use most of the links and apps for other phones also. Even though it was very easy to root my phone, I take no responsibility in any errors or bricking, should this happen to your phone in the process.

HARDWARE
Need: MicroSD Card – 8GB, 16GB would be better and your phone data cable.

ROOTING SOFTWARE,  WEB SITES  and ANDROID APPS  
SOFTWARE: Galaxy S One Click Root (For ATT Captivate) see below links. Can also be used with other devices.

APP: ROM Manager – This can be found in the Android market on your phone. Search ROM Manager. There are 2 programs, the free one is sufficient for this project. After rooting and replacing your ROM, you can upgrade to the paid version. Check out the paid version features first to see if you would like this capability.


ROM of Choice. They can be found at:
My favorite ROMS include Cognition (latest 4.1.1) and FireFly (latest 2.5).
 I am using FireFly 2.5 at the moment. This ROM has given my ATT Captivate super powers. Great ROM. Although 2.2 was a little more polished than version 2.5 I have on my phone now. Check out their site as to what they install as standard apps.  Here are some excellent ATT Captivate ROM’s



HOW TO

The almost bricking of my phone

I found if you have your stock ROM in place makes it easier to root. I made the mistake a few months back to upgrade to 2.2 as quick as possible. I used ODIN to upgrade to Froyo. I now had extra capabilities that Froyo gave me. But as time went by, the Rom started to really have issues. Missing shortcuts after reboot. Sluggish performace. I began to hate my phone. Most important I had the Clockwork Recovery error where I could not flash my phone.

So I researched and found I needed to go back to stock and root from there. I found a stock ROM for my ATT Captivate, I used ODIN again, and yes it froze during install. And yes I thought I bricked it.



Thanks to Androids openness, I can do what “I “want to my phone. I don’t have to wait for ATT/Samsung’s latest build as they are still on Éclair 2.1.  The phone is now very fast. I now have a custom Froyo build. Included is Gingerbreads keyboard, Titanium backup & Superuser. Most of all, I can now download and install ROM’s of choice. I will update this post as needed if additional information presents itself.

Eclair to Rooted Captivate Steps:
Odin to remove busted Froyo and install Stock Rom back on phone
One click root for Captivate. (don't mount your SD when you connect to your PC)
Rom Manager - Installs Clockwork Recovery
Firefly 2.5 Rom copied to my SD Card
Ran Rom Manager Cockwork, Booted into recovery and loaded the firefly .zip file. 

My Apps:
App 2 SD Free: A Must!
Astro File Manager
myATT: to keep track of the kids minutes, txt's and data.
Barcode Scanner: for Price and Info Lookups
Epicurious: Food Recipe App
Evernote: Great app for syncing notes, & photos.
Bloomberg: Excellent Finance App
Ebay ( the official Ebay App for Android)
Google Finance: Another Excellent Finance App
GTunes: Download any tune w/ lyrics
Handcent: Excellent customizable SMS
Miren Browser: One Slick Web Browser for Android
Optimum DVR Control App
Pandora: Internet Radio
Stitcher: Podcasts
Voice Search: The most recent updated Google Voice Search App
WavPlayer: to play my voicemails.
Weatherbug


No comments: