Wednesday, December 2, 2015

VSS Backup Errors Error 8914 Event ID 521 on 2008 SBS

This helped me find the culprit to my VSS errors causing the backup to FAIL ​ - My suspicion leaned toward Sharepoint
You also might see this error Windows Server Backup failed to backup with error 0x81000101
It was not a "ACTIVE PARTITION "Issue
Ran the list "VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS" command
Found these to be in NON-RETRY ERROR
NPS VSS Writer 
System Writer 
SharePoint Services Writer ​​
TS Gateway Writer   
SPSearch VSS Writer 
System Writer ​  

I stopped the following sharepoint services and the TS gateway service and was able to backup
This 2008 SBS box was not utilizing sharepoint, so stopping the services was an option.
I STOPPED:   SPWriter, SPTrace, SPTimeV3, SPSearch, SPAdmin this was set to manual
I stopped TSGateway but I will check to see if this was a culprit when it starts after a reboot, if so, I will disable
I am now able to backup.
LINKS TO POSTS
This was some good info to match services to writes - Got this from link above.
Found a handy reference linking VSS Writers to Services. I'd love to give credit but I lost the link and haven't been able to locate it. Unfortunately, NPS is not among them.
VSS WriterService NameService Display Name
ASR WriterVSSVolume Shadow Copy
BITS WriterBITSBackground Intelligent Transfer Service
COM+ REGDB WriterVSSVolume Shadow Copy
IIS Config WriterAppHostSvcApplication Host Helper Service
IIS Metabase WriterIISADMINIIS Admin Service
Microsoft Exchange WriterMSExchangeISMicrosoft Exchange Information Store
Microsoft Hyper-V VSS WritervmmsHyper-V Virtual Machine Management
Registry WriterVSSVolume Shadow Copy
Shadow Copy Optimization WriterVSSVolume Shadow Copy
System WriterCryptSvcCryptographic Services
WMI WriterWinmgmtWindows Management Instrume​

No comments: